Important February Dates:
- If your child donated a coat for GOWO, he/she earned a jeans pass. We have stapled your child’s jeans pass in the red folder. Students with a jeans pass may wear jeans with any SRCS shirt. If your child does not have a jeans pass, he/she needs to wear a regular uniform to school.
- Tonight is Elementary Literacy Night for grades PreK-5. It will be drop-in from 6:00-7:30pm.
- All donations for our auction baskets are due tomorrow please. We truly appreciate your support!
- The Daddy & Daughter Dance is this Saturday, February 7 in the cafeteria from 6:30-8:00pm.
- Orders for carnations and candy grams are due next Tuesday, February 10. Email your child’s teacher for extra order forms if you need them. Deliveries will be made Friday, February 13.
- Next Friday is a half-day. We will dismiss at 11:30. There will not be any Afterschool Care.
- Students will be making Valentine mailboxes here at school. We will exchange Valentines on Friday. Class lists were sent home on Monday.
- Winter Break is February 16-20.
- Patriot Talent Show is February 27.
Chapel Blog February, 2015
We live in a society that tends to focus on “ourselves” instead of looking out for others. However, that philosophy is not what is taught throughout Scripture. Honoring others is a common theme throughout the Bible. The Old Testament is full of examples of people who honored others; and in the New Testament Jesus not only talked about the importance of honoring others, but He also showed us how to honor others.
When we put this teaching into practice, we help the world see Christ living in our lives. Romans 12:10 reminds us that we need to, “Love each other deeply. Honor others more than yourselves.”
Below is a snapshot as to what your child will learn during this month:
Honor: letting someone know you see how valuable they are.
February 3– Bible Story: Samuel anoints David (I Samuel 16:1-13)
Bottom Line: Honor those who are overlooked.
February 10– Bible Story: David and Jonathan (I Samuel 18:1-9)
Bottom Line: Honor others more than yourself.
February – Bible Story: David dances before the Lord (2 Samuel 6:-12b-22a)
Bottom Line: Honor God in front of others
As parents, we have a great responsibility to teach this concept to our children. Showing honor is a virtue that the world does not teach. It is easy for children and adults to get caught up in the mindset: “it’s all about me!” Throughout the month of February, discuss with your child ways to show honor to his/her parents, friends, teachers, coaches, grandparents, and other people whose paths they cross. Remind them that showing honor to others is a way to honor God!